Saturday, October 16, 2010

Tuebingen/ Praha



My beautiful town called Tübingen…. How I love it so.  It is the perfect place to start my new life in Germany. It’s not too big, or not too small. Just right, easy enough to navigate through without getting lost or overwhelmed.  Tübingen is still surrounded by country, which I absolutely love.  Being able to look at the sun shine down into the Black Forest every day, or whenever the sun is shining, is wonderful! Right now it is fall, so all the trees are changes colors. Autumn  is here and so is the weather. Every day  I wear a thick coat and boots, so I can only imagine what it is going to be like in the winter. Perhaps a winter wonderland… Tübingen is a hippy chic medieval university city. Students dominate this town.  All kinds of students and styles. The majority of people ride their bikes, so it is considered a bike start. I noticed that a  lot of people don’t even lock their bikes….that would not fly in California. It would for sure be stolen. I live in the student living area called WHO. Apparently it gets pretty wild when school starts. I can’t wait to see. I have my own room and my own bathroom. Gott seid dank= thank god!!!! Because I share a kitchen with 17 other people, and the kitchen can get pretty nasty. I had other ideas of what my living conditions would be like. My room and building is great, but I learned that people pretty much stick to themselves. People are very private and cook, then just take their food to their rooms. Being a crazy American, I thought I would be cooking dinner with my fellow floor mates, drinking wine, and shooting the shit. That’s not the case here. But things will change, because already I met 5 other floor mates, and last night I drank with a couple. So apparently you just need to be outgoing  and offer wine, and then you will make friends.  So far so good. I made friends on my floor! Some people have lived in my building for 2 years and still don’t know their neighbors. That seems odd to me. People just stick to themselves.  In the dorms in California, people leave their doors open for other to come in and chill. Here in Germany, that is not the case. But like I said, I have made friends on my floor, so that is good. Oh and I live a minute away from a bar. Literally, I walk outside my building into another building and then I am there. It’s kind of a shitty bar, but lots of people go, so it’s good to meet and greet.
Fried Cheese Please!
At the Roxy











St. Vitus Cathedral


            All of us were feeling kind of slow, lethargic, achy, and completely useless. So we decided to stuff our faces with a Czech brunch. What better way to cure a hangover than to eat more greasy, cardiac inducing food? I thought it was a great idea! We went to
Fraktal, which became our favorite place, because we went there every day while in Prague. The food is good and cheap. They even have Mexican food and Cholula sauce!!!!! I guess I have to travel to Prague to have good Mexican food. Since I didn’t have my fried cheese fix from the night before, I decided to just order the hamburger with fried cheese on top. Why not? You get the best of both worlds right? We planted food babies into our systems and then decided to explore Prague. Well technically we didn’t explore, we had tour guides. Our new awesome friends (hosts) Ryan, Marketa, Lauren, and Abe (minus Lauren and Abe, the night before was kinda rough for them) showed us around Prague. The weather was pretty cold, and it seems that Prague rarely sees the sunlight. So no wonder Kevin and Megan do so well in Seattle. That is their kind of weather. The weather was cold, but that seems to add to the character of the city. We walked around most of the town, covering most of the bases. From Charles Bridge to Old Town Square and the Astronomical Clock (Praha Orloj) Tyn Church, and St. Vitus Cathedral (a Roman Catholic cathedral which contains many tombs of Bohemian Kings and Holy Roman Emperors) it is a prime example of gothic architecture. We even got to eat Staroceske Trdlo which translates to “Old Bohemian Muff” haha muff. We all know that “muff” in English translates to something else that can be a little naughty…okay, maybe not everyone knows that, but my friends and I sure do. This sinful discovery stole my heart.  Staroceske Trdlo is a thin coil of dough wrapped around a metal cylinder that rotates over an open flame and then coated with butter, cinnamon, and sugar. This heavenly pastry runs for about 35 czk ($1.50). One must pair this sweet creation with Svařák (Mulled Wine). One might say,” what is Mulled Wine?” Well, it is a heated and spiced red wine. It’s quite popular in Germany (Gluhwein) around Christmas time, but the Czechs know how to do it right and serve it all year around. No matter where you go throughout Europe, Europeans will have their own version of this wine. The Swedish call it Glogg, Germans call it Gluhwein, the French enjoy Vin Chaud, the Polish sip on Grzane Wino, Italians like Vin Brule, and the Hungarians like Foralt bor. Okay Americans, what is our version? When are we going to come up with our own version of hot wine? Maybe I will just have to travel around, taste all the different kinds and come up with one of my own….maybe that will be my future career….?

Fried cheese on top of a hamburger


Charles Bridge




Monday October 5, 2010

 

            On Monday we ran errands and shopped!!! You know how I love to buy souvenirs. The conversion war throwing me off a bit, and I paid a little too much for a beautiful candle holder and a mug. Oooops! This is the conversion 1 CZK = 0.0594 USD (1 CZK = 0.0594 USD)
1 USD = 16.826 CZK (1 USD = 16.826 CZK) lets just say 20 Czech crowns equals one dollar, roughly. The tricky thing is 20 crowns comes in coinage. Coins mean something in Europe, unlike the US, coins get you really far. So anywho… I paid 299 crowns for a candle holder = $15. It’s a beautiful candle holder though.

I don’t know what my infatuation is with Marionettes, but I seem to enjoy then quite a bit. They are creepy, eerie, somewhat disturbing, but I just like them. I wouldn’t buy one, because I have a fear that at night it might come alive and kill me, but I can look at them in the store. They are all over Prague. It is an art of the Czech people. These hand carved wooden creatures represent all kinds of characters, from devils, witches, to politicians and celebrities. You can even go to a live puppet show, we obviously skipped out on that one.

Budweiser is originally from the Czech Republic. ...sorry Missouri.













No comments:

Post a Comment